Страница 1 из 1 [ Сообщений: 4 ] 
Автор
 Заголовок сообщения: ASUS Z170-AR 1.03 Over Current Problem
СообщениеДобавлено: 12 ноя 2020, 17:02 
Я тут случайно
Я тут случайно
Наличности на руках:

Hi,

I am new to the motherboard repairing and BIOS modding/debugging world.

I started my Desktop System after a couple of weeks and found that the ASUS Z170-AR 1.03 motherboard was failing to boot with the following error message:

Цитата:
USB Device Over Current Status Detected !!
System Will Shut Down After 15 Seconds.

After downloading the "BoardView file" for a *similar* motherboard, I learned about the various OC (over current) detection sub-circuits present on the motherboard. I systematically checked the reference voltages present at all (4) of those voltage dividers and found them to be 3.26+ volts. Note: These voltage dividers ("sensors") are directly connected to the PCH.

I also carried out the following debugging steps:

- All of the USB ports are providing +5v and are able to detect the keyboard during BIOS POST (Caps Lock responds). They all *seem* to be OK.

- The single USB-C port on this mobo is also providing power to charge things just fine.

- I connected the USB keyboard to the PS2 port but the BIOS seems to be disabling all inputs when this 'USB OC' problem is detected.

- All of the USB devices have been subsequently disconnected.

- The cables for the front-panel USB connectors have been disconnected as well.

However, the BIOS error about 'USB OC' persists . I then dumped the BIOS from the W25Q128FV BIOS chip (thankfully present in DIP-8 form factor) using "flashrom" on Linux.

Цитата:
$ sudo ./flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r bios_dump_another.rom
flashrom v1.2-136-ged341cf on Linux 5.8.0-26-lowlatency (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q128.V" (16384 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.
Reading flash... done.

This dumping process took around 2.5 minutes. The dump seems to match the "BIOS ROM file" which I extracted from the Z170-AR-ASUS-3801.CAP (downloaded from ASUS' website) using UEFITool.

Note: This board uses the ASM1142 USB 3.0 chip which has its own over current (OC) detection. I couldn't find the BoardView for my Z170-AR 1.03 motherboard and hence I had to stop the hardware debugging process.

Next -> I was able to patch the ASUS BIOS using UEFITool, GHIDRA, Cutter (radar2) and WinHex tools! After patching the BIOS, I was able to boot into the system! After logging in, I was able to confirm that ASM1142 chip is generating those OC (Over Current) signals. This controller can be disabled with the following command.

Цитата:
$ echo -n "0000:02:00.0" | sudo tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/unbind

Now, I would like to fix this problem at the hardware level. I suspect that one of the capacitors has gone bad and is providing a low-resistance path to GND.

This is a test system and I don't use it much. However, I would like to use this opportunity to learn and improve my debugging skills with your help. Thank you for your time and attention.

What can I do next?

Заголовок сообщения: Re: ASUS Z170-AR 1.03 Over Current Problem
СообщениеДобавлено: 12 ноя 2020, 18:43 
Продвинутый форумчанин
Продвинутый форумчанин
Наличности на руках:

The direction of repair is correct. For beginners quite a good level))
Thrown out an email for help. Describe in detail which element has no signal and which capacitor you suspect.
Let's do everything else together.

[ТС]
СообщениеДобавлено: 17 ноя 2020, 07:03 
Я тут случайно
Я тут случайно
Наличности на руках:

I was able to locate one problem with the RU31R40 (8.2k) and RU31R41 (4.7k) voltage divider.

Изображение

RU31R41 is getting 5 volts. No problem. The capacitor (UC26), which is next to this resistor is also fine and maintaining 5 volts just fine.

The next observations are puzzling:

When measuring the voltage at the RU31R40 resistor, the initial voltage is 3.26 volts (which is correct) but it becomes 1.6 (or 1.5) volts very quickly! I am unable to explain this observation. Is the resistor failing somehow? Why is the voltage dipping here?

Should I try changing these resistors? The SMD package size of these resistors is 0402 which might prove challenging for me.

RU31R40 should be around 3.2+ volts and it is connected to the U31_OCI2 (Over Current Indicator) pin of the ASM1142 USB controller chip. But the (final) voltage here is 1.5v and that triggers the OC mode.

Please note that when I connect a keyboard to the ASM1142 USB port, it works just fine, which seems to imply that the ASM1142 chip is probably fine. The temperature of the ASM1142 chip is a bit warm around 42 degrees which may be OK (room temperature is in the mid-20s today).

Thanks for the help.

[ТС]
СообщениеДобавлено: 04 янв 2021, 11:31 
Я тут случайно
Я тут случайно
Наличности на руках:

UPDATE (Jan 2021):

This motherboard was lying flat on the table for the "operation" for a long time.

Before starting the repair job, I blew hard on the motherboard with an air pump.

After turning on this motherboard, the "USB Device Over Current" message simply disappeared!

Crazy, right?

I suspect that some dirt deposit(s) near the ASM1142 pins must have been causing short(s). These deposits must have gone away during the simple cleaning operation.

Thanks for the help.

Страница 1 из 1 [ Сообщений: 4 ]