Страница 1 из 1 [ Сообщений: 5 ] 
Автор
 Заголовок сообщения: GTX 1070 - 3 cards from ebay - 0 success
СообщениеДобавлено: 06 мар 2022, 17:44 
Я тут случайно
Я тут случайно
Наличности на руках:

Hi,

So my history of getting 3 random GTX1070 off ebay, different sources same result.

1. ASUS Strix GTX1070. Missing pads, traces, popcorned GPU substrate nothing to save, just parts minus cooked core. Not sure but looks like failed home repair attempt.

2. Palit GTX1070 GameRock. Some damaged pads but better condition than 1. Missing voltage rails Vcore, Vmem. Upon check 1.8V was not present... not a good sign but let's not give up. 1.8V voltage DC converter RT7296 did not look happy, replaced it measured resistances and no surprise with a dead short on 1.8V rail. Short disappeared only after removal of GPU itself. Confirmed 1.8V short to ground on the die itself so nothing to repair.

3. KFA2 GTX1070. This one was missing Vmem. Resistance 0 Ohm to GND did not look good. Removed inductors, short was not on supply section but again GPU & Memory. Decided to give it a try, removed all memory chips, replaced with ones from 1. donor. I did not have stencil for DDR5 so happy Saturday with a needle. But hey, short was gone! Connected it all together, reinstalled inductors but Vmem was still missing. Resistance however was at 35Ohms on Vmem but not 1.35-1.5V at all. Checked uP1666, it was getting enable & PVCC as required but no output. Replaced it with a donor from 1. Asus and hey 1.35V was back! So now we have all voltage rails and no short on memory but still no image.
Mats in blind mode identified errors in low bank D chip. I thought maybe poor contact due by hand re-balling, fitted another chip with new balls but no change, no picture and same errors in new chip. I removed the chip again and run mats, errors with missing chip went up for all bits. With chip installed it would go down but not disappear. Reflow of GPU did not improve anything, still same bits with errors. So I have removed the GPU and measured resistances of die itself, failing bit would have 25kOhm to ground whereas working ones without errors 10kOhm.
Probably another semi-dead GPU. I guess nothing else I can do?

Is there something in general wrong with GP104-200-A1? This was surprising. Bad luck, I am stupid, or what?

Заголовок сообщения: Re: GTX 1070 - 3 cards from ebay - 0 success
СообщениеДобавлено: 06 мар 2022, 18:50 
Продвинутый форумчанин
Продвинутый форумчанин
Наличности на руках:

By purchasing the 10XX series, it is a lottery game.

[ТС]
СообщениеДобавлено: 06 мар 2022, 21:33 
Я тут случайно
Я тут случайно
Наличности на руках:

It does feel a bit discouraging. Nothing else fails on these pascal cards? 3/3 with GPU damage is not a large sample but pretty much not repairable. I will buy maybe 2 more hoping for best and get any of them back to life but not so confident anymore.

I have no issues with repairs in general and that you don't make profit from each purchase but sourcing GPU chips even from China is not financially viable, cost of GP104-200-A1 chip is more than retail value of entire working card not mentioning labor or profit.

Usually I repair old tech like commodore/atari/amiga computers and wanted to expand to video cards given I already have needed equipment (maybe knowledge) but that is not looking good. 980tis burn their PCBs to non existence either in the lower right for memory power or in converter area, usually all are damaged in similar way, 20xx not so common, 30xx too expensive to gamble. Radeons don't look much better. Tough business.

СообщениеДобавлено: 06 мар 2022, 22:56 
Продвинутый форумчанин
Продвинутый форумчанин
Наличности на руках:

Yes, you can buy 7 more pieces and then you will definitely get statistics.
The problem is not in the GPU, the problem is in the power supply, mining.
For the most part, 1.8V and PEX 1.0V are malfunctioning, from mining, the memory goes into a short circuit that breaks the memory controller into the GPU. In rare cases, problems with the converter and 5V piping.

СообщениеДобавлено: 07 мар 2022, 09:26 
Начинающий
Начинающий
Наличности на руках:

yea gtx10xx core fail so fast

Страница 1 из 1 [ Сообщений: 5 ]